Thursday, January 31, 2008

San Miguel de Allende


Ok ... I am diligent and have done some research. Research pays off in the end. Without it I wouldn't have found Andee. And I wouldn't have found out about San Miguel de Allende. During one of my many research nights dedicated to finding out about Mexico, I discovered the magical colonial city of San Miguel de Allende. I read about a woman from the US named Caren Cross who made a documentary film entitled Lost and Found in Mexico. She and her husband visited San Miguel for a week's vacation and were so enamoured by the spirit of the place that they made the decision to make it their permanent home and retired there shortly after. After reading her story, and viewing the captivating images, I was compelled to order the documentary. A few days after I ordered it online, I received an email from Caren Cross, thanking me for my interest in the film and asking me how I came across it. I explained I had seen a link for it online and told her a little about my upcoming plans. She wrote back immediately, telling me that "I had made a very good decision and that I had a great adventure ahead of me." These are the kinds of occurrences that just kind of make you go "hmmmm, I really am onto something here." She also told me that she was going to Toronto during that time to promote her new project and that I should try to attend. Unfortunately, I didn't make it but I was so impressed that she took the time to introduce herself and share her positive feelings about moving to Mexico. I have watched Lost and Found in Mexico many times and listening to people's stories of how this charming place stole their hearts always leaves me full of curiosity. The place is a kaleidoscope of colour and apparently it is not just a few chosen scenes. From what I've seen of San Miguel on film, the whole city is alive with vibrant colour. And it is blessed with a perfect comfortable climate, without the high degree of humidity. It's easy to see why many artistic minded people take up permanent residency there. The interesting thing about Caren is that she wasn't a documentary film maker when she arrived there. She was actually a psychotherapist in the States. She was so inspired by her surroundings that she wanted to share it with others. The stories strike a chord and make you question why you play the game day in and day out, without thinking much about it. After spending a little time there, people find themselves asking what they really want out of life. Caren found herself in San Miguel. And she was not alone.



















I haven't quite figured out just yet how far Chacala is from San Miguel. This map doesn't really give an accurate idea, but I do know that it will take a few hours to get there. I can't make this trip without spending a few days there. Perhaps Caren and I will meet up after all. I will certainly make the effort.

Caren website is http://www.lostandfoundinmexico.com/ for those of you who want to take a peek.








It's a beautiful film alive with captivating images and the soundtrack in itself will have you moving in your chair. It's the next best thing to being there.
Peace and light ...
Charmalita


No comments: